I recently had cause to remember something so important that society spends years trying to make us forget it: “No” is a complete sentence.
Why is “no” a complete sentence?
- Your first duty is to yourself.
- You have the right to set boundaries for yourself.
- You have the right to say “no” to anything and anybody.
- You don’t need a reason.
- You don’t have to explain yourself.
- You don’t have to justify yourself.
- Your life is yours alone, and saying “no” is how you remind others of this fact.
You don’t owe anything to anybody. Not to God, not to society, not to anybody who only values you for what you can do for them or notices you when they want something from you.