I began writing the Starbreaker saga in 1996, seeking to write a literary rock opera paying tribute to classic heavy metal and progressive rock. The sensible thing to do would have been get a few other people together and start a tribute band, but I already knew I wasn’t enough of a musician to do the job.
The epic first took the form of a previously unpublished novel in 2009. After years of work, I re-imagined the Starbreaker saga as a quartet of novels, and released the first of them in 2013. After getting side-tracked with a prequel featuring a major supporting character as its protagonist — and the responsibilities of a married man with a day job — I’m ready to continue the saga.
Starbreaker takes place in a future similar ours where…
- First contact happened over 10,000 years ago.
- Aliens have lived among us throughout the history of civilization.
- Humanity has begun to colonize the entire solar system while still healing the scars of a global collapse they remember as Nationfall.
- Benevolent artificial intelligence works alongside humans.
- An elite corps of tribunes investigates and punishes abuses of power wherever they occur under the aegis of the Phoenix Society.
- All-too-human androids rock out with swashbuckling sopranos.
- The gods came from outer space.
- An ancient evil is bound beneath the ice of Antarctica.
- The dark lord wears white, already rules the world, and is trying to save it.
Welcome to Starbreaker, where all-too-human androids and swashbuckling soprano catgirls expose corruption and fight demons from outer space on a near-future alternate Earth. Humanity has risen from global collapse to an interplanetary Renaissance in less than a century. Meanwhile a clandestine war between demons threatens to go hot once more. Morgan, Naomi, and their friends are caught in the middle and they are not pleased.
If you’re interested, I’m releasing the rough cuts online. You can start with the short stories, or go right to the novels.
Start here if you just want a taste.
The stories listed above are only a taste of Starbreaker. If you want the full story, you’ve got a lot of reading to do.
- Without Bloodshed - Part One
- Silent Clarion - a Starbreaker Novel
- Dissident Aggressor - Part Two
- Shattered Guardian - Part Three
If you want to dig down deep and see the roots of Starbreaker, you could also try reading the original 2009 draft. It’s for hardcore fans only.