I can’t believe I went my entire adult life without figuring out how to properly cook brown rice. You know how the instructions on the packet say to use 2 cups of water for every cup of rice, and then let it simmer for 40 minutes after bringing it to a boil? That’s complete and utter bullshit!
Here’s what you gotta do instead: boil brown rice as if it were pasta.
I’m serious. Here’s what I did last night:
- Fill a saucepan with water.
- Add half a cup of dry brown rice per meal.
- Add 3 turkey meatballs per meal.
- Add chicken boullion, garam masala, parsley, and salt.
- Boil for 40 minutes.
- Drain without removing rice from saucepan
- Add butter and stir through until melted
- Cover for ten minutes.
I didn’t eat the rice last night because I had already made dinner, and my wife was dead set against even trying brown rice again because of previous failures to cook it in a way that resulted in a palatable meal, but I had it for lunch today and it was perfect.